December 20, 2009

Mushy roomies :-)



My earliest memories of mushrooms go back a long way to my teenage years. In Mangalore, one could find these umbrella-shaped forms growing in damp places, spots of white against the dark brown soil. Amma used to joke that they carried their houses on their heads :-)! Needless to say, they made a very pretty picture!


I don't remember when I first sampled mushrooms, but I do remember this - I didn't like the taste at all! So you could imagine my trepidation when CN, one of my roommates, bought a bunch of mushrooms for some culinary experiment. The smell of the cooking mushrooms was nauseating to say the least. Moreover, it was all-pervading. No matter where I went to escape that smell, it found its way to every nook and cranny of our house until I was forced to open the window and catch a whiff of the sub-zero cold air outside! A couple of hours and a frozen face later, I scurried back to the sanctuary of my room. The ordeal was over!


No matter where I went, I made it a point not to order anything that contained mushrooms. But alas, vegetarian food abroad more often than not contained mushrooms, and I couldn't fathom the reason as to how vegetarians liked it! A casual discussion with a friend who was trying to be vegetarian revealed that the taste of cooked mushrooms is akin to that of meat! Aaaarrrrgggghhh !


Slowly, my palette rediscovered the flavor of mushrooms thanks to stir-fried varieties in Thai and Chinese cuisine. I have gone as far as having them as a pizza topping. Till date, I love the sight of mushrooms growing but remain non-committal with regards to the taste.

9 comments:

Unknown January 5, 2010 at 2:16 AM  

Hey Chitra,
This is anisha from Bangalore Mirror. I would like to get your permission to publish your blog entries in Bangalore Mirror. Please write to my e-mail id: anisha.rudranii@gmail.com or bangaloretalking@gmail.com

Chitra January 10, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

-/Anisha
Thanks for your interest Anisha. Have sent you a mail. Looking forward to your reply.....

rashmitha April 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

hi chitra this is rashmitha how are u i have same feeling with mashroom...but i like mushroom pizza' ya the taste is good
can u send me ur gmail address and mine is rashmitha86@gmail.com...ok what else bye tc..

Chitra May 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

-/Rashmita
Mushrooms on pizza tastes good! I guess if they are roasted they lose that 'fleshy' taste :-)!

Unknown May 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

Hey Chitraaaaa,

I loved the blog. And I remember the incident too and who the roomate is in your blog :) lol.

Well, I would say that was a first bad encounter with mushrooms and first impressions are not always right :)

Chitra July 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

-/Nishthaaaaa
Ab dekh raheen hoon tera comment! This incident is the best example of how first impressions are not the best impressions ;-)!

Laks January 11, 2011 at 7:35 PM  

Button mushrooms are kinda nice if you cook them well, guess they shouldn't get too soggy.. sure you'll like em in that case :)

Alt Tab May 4, 2011 at 1:16 AM  

I like blogwalking here please visit back my blog

Unknown August 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM  

Hi Chitra,

Nice to see your blog after a long time. I admire the way you articulate.
About mushrooms, i think most veggies don't like the taste.
But as you said, no choice for veggies in other countries.

Labels

Followers

About This Blog

Hmmmmm.......
My entry into the world of photography was due to sheer curiosity. When I was young, come any family function and there I was clicking away to glory with my Amma's film Canon Camera. With the onset of my salary days (aaaah!), I graduated to an HP point-and-shoot digicam, and now, I am the proud owner of a Canon 40D DSLR :-)! Working with this camera has been pleasure exemplified to the power of n :D! I took me the better part of an year to figure out the manual mode of this camera and with every photo shoot, I am discovering not only some new aspects of the intricate workings of the SLR but also about me as a photographer. The passion to capture and store these time-frames only to revisit them later reigns supreme. This blog is to showcase some photos which I hold dear to my heart either due to some technical know-hows or the fond memories involved. Enjoy maaDi :-)!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP